October 13, 1917
By Fr. Steve Ryan, SDB
Today is the 100th anniversary of the final apparition of the Blessed Mother in Fatima, Portugal. One hundred years ago today, Our Lady appeared to three children: Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco. The message the Mother of God gave to the children at Fatima still applies. What was the message? In case you’ve forgotten, here it is:
- Say the ROSARY every day, to bring peace to the world and an end to war.
- SACRIFICE. Make little sacrifices to love others. When you make sacrifices of your time and give yourself to others – family, friends and strangers – you help convert yourself and sinners. The Virgin Mary told the three children that when people are able to make some sacrifice, they should say, “O Jesus, it is for love of You, for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary that I offer you this sacrifice.”
- PRAY – pray very much. Many souls go to hell because there is no one to pray for them.
- STOP SINNING. Do not offend the Lord your God anymore. He is already too much offended in this world.
In obedience to Our Lady of Fatima, here is a formula I hope we can put into action:
- Use the Sacrament of Confession more often – especially if we are the type of person that puts it off too long.
- Stop complaining. Put an end to the whining when called upon to make sacrifices – just do them with love and offer up the sacrifice as Our Lady requested.
- Pray the Rosary daily.
Blessed Mother, Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us!